A new year is a great time to re-align and set your intentions—think of it as being on your side and putting your energy into what matters. Intentional living means we mindfully decide how to show up in the world and what kind of life we want to create. Unfortunately, while it sounds simple, life can get busy, and we can find ourselves putting our sense of purpose, core values and biggest dreams on hold.
Here are 3 simple steps to creating intentions and living intentionally in 2022. Some people like to pick a word for the year. You can also choose as many as you want. There are no rules when you’re creating your best life!
- Look back.
Take some time to reflect on 2021.
- What are significant events, milestones and accomplishments that happened last year?
- What am I grateful for in 2021?
- What lessons did I learn that I want to carry forward?
- What would I like to release and leave behind?
- Look inward.
Think about what you want for in 2022?
- What are my core values?
- What are my priorities (i.e. personal, career, relationships, philanthropic, self-development, wellness)?
- What do I want to create for myself?
- Are there specific goals I want to set for myself?
- Take (simple) action.
Now it’s time to break your intentions and goals into simple, actionable items – carried out consistently; they can be transformative.
- Create an intention for the day. Take 5 minutes of quiet time to ground yourself and think about how you want to show up today and what you want to create.
- What simple steps can you take each day to align with your intentions?
- How can you infuse all of this with joy?
Simple, consistent practices make a big difference. When you break down your intentions into simple acts, you will be amazed by what you can accomplish. The crucial part is in the doing. When you focus your attention and energy here consistently, you will be creating a life that feels purposeful and fulfilling.
Adrienne Enns, Radio and Television Arts ’96, is the Founder and CEO of May You Know Joy Inc. Her mission is to inspire our most intentional living through products, conversations and experiences. Enns is the author of Intentional Days and host of The Intention Sessions podcast.